Automox Worklet Overview: Deploy Google Chrome Remote Desktop on Windows
This worklet was authored and submitted by an Automox customer to the Automox Community Worklets forum. The customer was seeking to deploy some easy remote support tools to their remotely distributed endpoints. Automox reviews and confirms all community worklet submissions before they are published to the Community Worklets forum.
The purpose of this worklet is to allow admins to easily install Google Chrome Remote Desktop on their Windows endpoints. Chrome Remote Desktop allows users to remotely access another computer through the Chrome browser or a Chromebook. This can help with ad hoc remote support or long-term remote access to applications and files.
You can assign this Worklet to any number of your Windows groups and execute the policy. You can also set the Worklet to run on a schedule like any other Worklet.
To create this Worklet, use the evaluation and remediation code scripts located here in the original posting on the Automox community.
- The evaluation code checks to see if Google Chrome is installed on your endpoints, and if so it will also check for Chrome Remote Desktop application.
- If Chrome is not already installed on the endpoint, the remediation code will install the latest version of Chrome on Windows. The remediation code will also install Chrome Remote Desktop once Google Chrome is confirmed to be on the device.
Step-by-Step: Create an Automox Worklet
Before deploying an Automox Worklet to the production environment, we suggest testing this on a few devices to confirm its accuracy. If you have any questions, please contact our support team for technical assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To deploy this endpoint hardening Worklet, do the following:
- Log in to your Automox Console.
- Navigate to the System Management page and click Create Policy in the upper right-hand section of the screen.
- Choose Windows under Worklet.
- Copy and paste the Remediation code scripts [located here].
- Define a schedule for when you want this policy to run.
- Click Create Worklet.
- Assign Worklet to a group or multiple groups and click Save Changes.
- [Optional] To execute Worklet manually, click the Execute Policy Now button.
About Automox Automated Patch Management
Facing growing threats and a rapidly expanding attack surface, understaffed and alert-fatigued organizations need more efficient ways to eliminate their exposure to vulnerabilities. Automox is a modern cyber hygiene platform that closes the aperture of attack by more than 80% with just half the effort of traditional solutions.
Cloud-native and globally available, Automox enforces OS & third-party patch management, security configurations, and custom scripting across Windows, Mac, and Linux from a single intuitive console. IT and SecOps can quickly gain control and share visibility of on-prem, remote and virtual endpoints without the need to deploy costly infrastructure.
Experience modern, cloud-native patch management today with a 15-day free trial of Automox and start recapturing more than half the time you're currently spending on managing your attack surface. Automox dramatically reduces corporate risk while raising operational efficiency to deliver best-in-class security outcomes, faster and with fewer resources.